Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ciao 2013 - Bun Venit 2014

All good things come to an end; hopefully making way for better things.  Feels like it was just a blink of an eye and here comes 2014.  What a difference a year makes.  Last December I was counting weekends until my weekend calls or "Community Service" as I like to call them, were over.  The glorious PGY-2 was oh so close, yet so far.  This year the eternal countdown junkie in me is counting down to the majestic PGY-3 and guess what else?  Okay I will just humor myself and save you the suspense.  I have 18 more months of call left.  I will openly and shamelessly admit that I dislike call with a passion.  I don't know anyone who likes call.  If you happen to be one then I would like to see your "Men in Black" issued ID.  Yeah didn't think so!

At the same time I cannot deny that the amount of confidence I have now after 18 months of being a resident is hugely possible because of being on call.  Despite my disdain for call, I cannot deny that I am lucky to be in a program that has a proper call like you are suppose to have when you do your residency.  But enough of being thankful for the call.  My happy dance tonight is going to have a bit of funky sway because the light at the end of the tunnel is at least a sliver now compared to the dark tunnel last year.  I will soon bid Adios to the pager that never stops beeping and the long nights where sometimes all I want is 20 min of shut eye just to feel less of a zombie and at times I have secretly wanted to find a hit man to take the pager out.  I can already see the welcome 2015 blog post.
        
PGY- 3 also means no more inpatient months.  This is mainly a 12 month out pt rotation with no off campus rotations.  I am so excited about being in clinic and most importantly being with my amazing classmates.  After two years of being scattered away from each other for various rotations we are finally going to be together for a whole year.  I am looking forward to more time with my favorite people and all the craziness some of us bring to the mix.  July is going to be a great month.
New year also means the match season is coming to an end and soon we will find out who joins our program for 2014 match.  Interview season was long and testing both for the candidates and the programs but it is finally over even though it really is never over.  It is more like taking a mini break for a few months and it starts all over again.

Here is to an amazing 2014, more laughter, more learning, more fun and more knowledge.  I close 2013 on a high note with an amazing group of people to work with, doing a job I love with all my passion with all it's challenges in a system that frustrates me to no end some days balanced with a family that keeps me grounded and keeps me going when I feel tired and down.
Happy New Year Y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment